The South East Sports Academy (SESA) Individual Athlete Program (IAP) is a scholarship program that enhances the development of talented athletes in the South East region of NSW.
The IAP is for athletes aged between 12 to 18 years who are competing at a high level in their chosen sport or sports. Scholarships are available to athletes who reside and attend school in the South East Region. Scholarships will be awarded based on performances by the athlete at national, state or regional level over the past three years.
IAP scholarship athletes will be provided with:
- An athlete education weekend which is scheduled for the 27 - 28 October 2018
- Financial support (up to $500 depending on program requirements)
- Where available, access to development opportunities with SESA partners.
Scholarships will not be offered to athletes who qualify for SESA squad programs (i.e. AFL W, basketball, golf, netball, surfing). SESA IAP athletes should be prepared to attend all athlete development opportunities that are offered to them by the South East Sports Academy.
To be eligible for a SESA Individual Athlete Scholarship, athletes must satisfy the following criteria:
- Reside within the South East Region of NSW
- Be turning 12 – 18 years of age in 2019 (i.e. born from 2007 to 2001)
- Be involved in an individual or team sport which is recognised by the Australian Sports Commission (and not currently offered by SESA)
- Be registered, affiliated or have reciprocal rights with the recognised state body of their chosen sport in NSW or ACT
- Be prepared to attend an education camp at Jindabyne Sport and Recreation Centre on 27-28 October 2018.
Conditions of scholarship
SESA IAP Scholarship holders are expected to:
- Be committed and prepared to work toward representing their sport at a state or national level
- Be committed to a holistic approach to athlete development
- Maintain an appropriate performance standard at regional and state competitions to continue to receive scholarship support
- Not take or use performance enhancing drugs or illegal drugs or participate in other activities that are prohibited by the South East Sports Academy Code of Conduct
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing your sport and the SESA
- Comply with the training requirements of your sport as prescribed by nominated coaching staff and respond in a positive manner to any suggestions or criticism
- Be required to submit activity statements when requested outlining their activities during the scholarship period (a standard report form will be provided by SESA for athletes to complete).
To gain selection into the SESA Individual Athlete Program athletes must satisfy the eligibility criteria and then the following will be taken into consideration:
- Past performance and achievements
- Potential to improve, stated goals and planned schedule of competitions
- Willingness to learn and apply coaching ideas
- Attitude, commitment and dedication
- Tactical ability or knowledge of their chosen sport
- Physical attributes associated with optimal performance for their sport.
Applications will be assessed by a selection panel and information about the athlete may be discussed with:
- Parents/ Guardians
- Nominated referee, coach and school
- NSW /ACT State Sporting Organisation for the primary sport.