The SESA Basketball NSW Developing Athlete Program will provide coaching, training, competition, and support services to enhance skill level of athletes.
The program is part of Basketball NSW (BNSW) Developing Athlete Program (DAP) which is the second tier of BNSW High-performance Program. The program has a strong focus on the identification, development, and support of athletes aged 13-17.
Scholarship holders will be required to undergo an induction process, attend weekly training sessions, and participate in academy activities.
- Technique and skill development
- Athlete education
- Opportunities to represent SESA at various events
To be eligible for a SESA Basketball Developing Athlete Program Scholarship, athletes must satisfy the following criteria:
- Reside within the South East Region of NSW or the ACT
- Be a registered member of Basketball NSW and be associated with a Basketball NSW recognised Basketball Association
- Be competing in the U14-U18 age groups in Basketball NSW League
- Athletes turning 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 years of age in 2019
To gain selection into the SESA Basketball Developing Athlete Program athletes must satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following:
Display the potential or ability to compete successfully at the national level:
- Athletic ability e.g. speed, height, quick hands and strength
- Display the necessary work ethic and attitude to improve as a player
- Potential to be socially compatible and display a sense of team within a group
- Be highly receptive to coaching
- Demonstrated desire to succeed not only in basketball but in educational, vocational and personal life
- Outstanding desire and commitment to working hard at improving mental, physical and basketball skills
Conditions of scholarship
SESA Basketball Scholarship holders are expected to:
- Attend all program activities
- Be committed and prepared to work toward improving performance
- Be committed to a holistic approach to athlete development
- Not take or use performance enhancing drugs or illegal drugs or participate in other activities that are prohibited by the South East Sports Academy Code of Conduct
Adhere to SESA policies and relevant Basketball NSW policies and by-laws
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing SESA
- Be prepared to attend an education camp at Jindabyne Sport and Recreation Centre on 27-28 October 2018
- An athlete levy of $350 will apply which covers the cost of program activities (there will be an additional levy to attend the Your Local Club Academy Games. NB. athletes aged16 & 17 years not eligible to compete).
Complete an online nomination form by 5pm on 28 September 2018. Applications may be discussed with:
- Parents/ Guardians
- Nominated referee, coach and school
- Basketball NSW.
Athletes selected into the program will participate in:
· Academy Camp in Jindabyne on 27 - 28 October 2018
· Weekly or bi-weekly training sessions (Term 4 & Term 1)
· Off-court education sessions
It is anticipated that there will be three squads; Batemans Bay, Queanbeyan and Goulburn with all three squads coming together once every three or four weeks for training.