The SESA Basketball NSW Developing Athlete Program will provide coaching, training, competition, and support services to enhance skill level of athletes.
The program is part of Basketball NSW (BNSW) Developing Athlete Program (DAP) which is the first tier of BNSW High-performance Program. The program has a strong focus on the identification, development, and support of athletes aged 13-17.
Scholarship holders will be required to undergo an induction process, attend weekly training sessions, and participate in academy activities.
- Technique and skill development
- Athlete education
- Access to myAISbasecamp
- Opportunities to represent SESA at various events
To be eligible for a SESA Basketball Developing Athlete Program Scholarship, athletes must satisfy the following criteria:
- Reside within the South East Region of NSW or the ACT
- Be a registered member of Basketball NSW and be associated with a Basketball NSW recognised Basketball Association
- Be competing in the U14-U18 age groups in Basketball NSW League
- Athletes turning 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 years of age in 2018
To gain selection into the SESA Basketball Developing Athlete Program athletes must satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following:
Display the potential or ability to compete successfully at the national level:
- Athletic ability e.g. speed, height, quick hands and strength
- Display the necessary work ethic and attitude to improve as a player
- Potential to be socially compatible and display a sense of team within a group
- Be highly receptive to coaching
- Demonstrated desire to succeed not only in basketball but in educational, vocational and personal life
- Outstanding desire and commitment to working hard at improving mental, physical and basketball skills
Conditions of scholarship
SESA Basketball Scholarship holders are expected to:
- Attend all program activities
- Be committed and prepared to work toward improving performance
- Be committed to a holistic approach to athlete development and willing to participate in "myAISbasecamp"
- Not take or use performance enhancing drugs or illegal drugs or participate in other activities that are prohibited by the South East Sports Academy Code of Conduct
Adhere to SESA policies and relevant Basketball NSW policies and by-laws
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing SESA
- An athlete levy of $250 will apply which covers the cost of program activities (there will be an additional levy to attend ClubsNSW Academy Games).
Applications for Batemans Bay now open. Complete an online nomination form by 5pm on 28 February 2018. Applications may be discussed with:
- Parents/ Guardians
- Nominated referee, coach and school
- Basketball NSW.
Athletes selected into the program will participate in:
· Academy Camp in Jindabyne
· Weekly or bi-weekly training sessions (Term 1)
· Off-court education sessions
There will be two squads. One squad will hold weekly training in Goulburn on a Monday afternoon commencing 12 February 2018. The other squad will have bi-weekly training in Batemans Bay on Saturday 3 March 12.30pm -2.30pm.