The South Coast Surfing Academy Program is offered in partnership with Surfing NSW and Illawarra Academy of Sport (IAS).
The program provides high performance training opportunities for talented young surfers from the Far South Coast region of NSW. The program supplements any home based coaching / training program that the surfer has in place. The program provides surfers with skill assessment and development, education, strength & conditioning and personal development.
The surfing program will include two 2-day training camps and three 1-day satellite training days plus the opportunity to participate in competitions. The squad will be divided into a Northern Squad (Kiama and Shoalhaven) and a Southern Squad (Bega and Eurobodalla), with satellite programs being held in each area. The whole squad will come together for camps.
The program will run for approximately 9 months commencing in October and concluding in June. Scholarship holders will be required to undergo an induction process, attend weekend training camps, and participate in academy activities.
Scholarship athletes will be provided with:
- Technique and skill development
- Individual and squad coaching
- Athlete education
- Insight into what it takes to become a professional surfer
- Opportunities to represent SESA & IAS at various events.
To be eligible for a Far South Coast Surfing Scholarship, surfers must satisfy the following criteria:
- Reside within the South East Region of NSW or within Kiama, Shoalhaven regions
Female and male surfers 13 - 18 years of age in 2018.
To gain selection into the Far South Coast Surfing Program athletes must satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following:
Be athletic and show potential in improving skills and ability
Be enthusiastic, motivated, and committed
- Willingness to learn and apply coaching ideas
Have a home coach or be willing to get one.
Conditions of scholarship
Far South Coast Surfing Scholarship holders are expected to:
- Attend all program activities
- Be committed and prepared to work toward improving performance
- Be committed to a holistic approach to athlete development and willing to participate in "myAISbasecamp"
- Not take or use performance enhancing drugs or illegal drugs or participate in other activities that are prohibited by the South East Sports Academy Code of Conduct
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing SESA.
Complete an online nomination form there will be no selection day trial. Online nominations close on Sunday 27 August 2017.
A Selection Panel consisting of local and State level judges, the NSW State Coach and respective Level 2 Surfing NSW coaches will select the final squad for the academy.
If an athlete has a NSW Ranking, this will be taken into account during selection.
Feedback will be given to all surfers who do not get selected into the squad.
South Coast Surfing Academy Program
|2 Day Camp - Orientation||7-8 October 2017||Lake Tabourie||7th 9am start / 8th finish 3pm|
|Illawarra Satellite - Session 1||11 November 2017||Kiama, Bombo||8-11am|
|North Satellite - Session 1||11 November 2017||Kiama, Bombo||12-4pm|
|South Satellite - Session 1||12 November 2017||Tathra||10-2pm|
|Illawarra Satellite - Session 2||3 February 2018||Kiama, Bombo||8-11am|
|North Satellite - Session 2||3 February 2018||Kiama, Bombo||12-4pm|
|South Satellite - Session 2||4 February 2018||Narooma||10-2pm|
|ClubNSW Academy Games||27-29 April 2018||Hunter Region|
|Illawarra Satellite - Session 3||19 May 2018||Kiama, Bombo||8-11am|
|North Satellite - Session 3||19 May 2018||Kiama, Bombo||12-4pm|
|South Satellite - Session 3||5 May 2018||Merimbula||10-2pm|
|2 Day Camp||2-3 June 2018||Broulee|