The South Coast Surfing Academy Program is offered in partnership with Surfing NSW and Illawarra Academy of Sport (IAS).
The program provides high performance training opportunities for talented young surfers from the Far South Coast region of NSW. The program supplements any home based coaching / training program that the surfer has in place. The program provides surfers with skill assessment and development, education, strength & conditioning, personal development and surfing event experiences.
The program involves a 2-tier squad structure consisting of a Development Squad (12) & a High Performance Squad “Pro Junior Program” (6), with monthly coaching sessions being held between Kiama, Ulludulla & the Far South Coast (Locations TBC). The whole squad will come together for the 2 day camp at Jindabyne and will be run by SESA (27-28th October 2018).
High Performance Squad Members - “Pro Junior Readiness Program” (6)
- Competitive goal set to achieve representing NSW at the Australian Junior Surfing Titles or Australia and World ISA Games.
- This program will be both performance and competition based. From October - January the monthly sessions will be performance based (technique, decision making and consistency) and after the January holidays it will become competition goal based (heat stimulation, drills and tactical preparation).
- These surfers will be accountable for communication between monthly sessions with Coach App integration to promote consistent communication.
Development Squad Members (12)
- Competitive goal set to achieve representing the south coast at the NSW State Titles and Team NSW at the Australian Titles
- Program both performance and competition based. From October - January the monthly sessions will be performance based (technique, decision making and consistency) and after the January holidays it will become competition goal based (heat stimulation, drills and tactical preparation)
- Opportunities for remote coaching via a Coaching App.
The program will run for approximately 9 months commencing in October 2018 and concluding in July 2019. Scholarship holders will be required to undergo the induction process, attend the 2 day camp at Jindabyne, attend monthly coaching sessions and participate in Surfing NSW events & experiences the program offers.
Scholarship athletes will be provided with:
- Technique and skill development
- Individual and squad coaching
- Athlete education
- Insight into what it takes to become a professional surfer
- One 2 Day Camp & Induction into the South Coast Sports Academy at Jindabyne on 27 -28 October
- 9 monthly 1-day Coaching Sessions both performance & competition based
- Coach mentoring at selected competitions
- Opportunities for remote coaching
- Strength & conditioning home workout program tailored to the ability of each Squad
- Strength & Conditioning coinciding with Surf sessions
- Squad Experiences at Major Surf events
- Surfers Rescue 24/7 Course - update proficiency in accredited CPR & board rescue techniques
- An opportunity to apply for the Illawarra Academy of Sport’s(IAS) Lone Star Program, providing surfers with additional training and education sessions (NB. this for athletes from Minamurra River to Kiama only. Applications close 3 September 2018 www.ias.org.au ).
To be eligible for a Far South Coast Surfing Scholarship, surfers must satisfy the following criteria:
- Reside within the South East Region of NSW or within Kiama, Shoalhaven regions (from the Minnamurra River to the Victorian Border)
Female and male surfers 13 - 18 years of age in 2018 (under the WSL Pro Junior Age in 2019).
To gain selection into the South Coast Surfing Program athletes must satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following:
Be athletic and show potential in improving skills and ability
Be enthusiastic, motivated, and committed
- Willingness to learn and apply coaching ideas
Have a home coach or be willing to get one.
Conditions of scholarship
South Coast Surfing Scholarship holders are expected to:
- Attend all program activities
- Be committed and prepared to work toward improving performance
- Not take or use performance enhancing drugs or illegal drugs or participate in other activities that are prohibited by the South East Sports Academy Code of Conduct
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner when representing SESA.
Complete an online nomination form there will be no selection day trial. Online nominations close at 5pm Monday 24 September 2018.
A Selection Panel consisting of local and State level judges, the NSW State Coach and respective Level 2 Surfing NSW coaches will select the final squad for the academy.
If an athlete has a NSW Ranking, this will be taken into account during selection along with coaches feedback.
Feedback will be given to all surfers who do not get selected into the squad upon request.
Surfers will then be selected based on their results in order of relevance from the following;
1. Competing at WSL Pro Jnr Level in 2019
2. NSW State Team 2018
3. Place at South Coast Regional Titles 2018
4. South Coast Regional Academy Team in 2018 & commitment/attendance.
Applications CLOSE 5pm 24 September 2018